Thursday, October 21, 2004

For the people, by the people

Well, jury duty was an interesting experience. I just wish I had time to share it. I will say, however, that the courthouse is a people-watching lover's HAVEN. I've never seen/met/talked to so many interesting people in my LIFE.

The trial was short and sweet. Well, not sweet, but sweet as in I am glad it's over. It's a weird thing to drive away from a 3-day situation in which you worked with 11 other strangers to determine the fate of someone else - another stranger.

If I get all caught up like a good girl today, tomorrow I'll share some of the gems I met this week.

An early morning e-mail exchange with a friend who's cocktail party I am dropping in on this evening:

HER: "If you're not still SEQUESTERED, come out and have a drink, or nine."

ME: "We're done, actually. But, we were only SEQUESTERED (why caps?) during the day. Then turned loose to pursue our alcoholism."

HER: "I just like the word SEQUESTERED. In fact all day yesterday, I was saying 'I have a friend who is currently being sequestered!'. God I love that word. I want to be sequestered. In fact, when you come to my party tonight, could you please tell everyone 'I'm so glad I was able to come - I was worried I wouldn't be able to - what with having been SEQUESTERED all week!'? Thanks!"

ME: "Someone started her cocktail party at 6:30 a.m., I see."