Friday, October 08, 2004

Parental Chaperone

Last night I went to see this musical with my mother. I had obviously heard of it before, but didn't really know what it was all about. It was very, very good. The music, the dancing, the colors, everything. It was even funny. Who knew?

What is it about being around your mother that makes you think that you will always be considered a child, even at 35 with a responsible life and successful business? Perhaps these comments from my mother?

"Honey, you're probably going to need a sweater."
"Mom, it's 79 degrees out right now."

One guy seated in front of me, was a bit on the tall side, but not blocking my view by any means.
(Not said quietly, by the way) "Can you see okay, Honey? I can ask that guy to scooch down a little." (Sorry if you heard that, guy, I was embarrassed too.)

When I suggested we stop and get some dessert on the way back to the car:
"But did you eat dinner before the show?"
"No, I didn't have time. Desserty food is fine, though."
"I don't know about that."

The whole time we were at dessert she was nervously checking her watch.
"You really should be home and in bed. It's AFTER 11:00!"

Walking back to the car.
"I wish we had parked closer. You don't just walk around downtown this late, do you?"
"No, usually I wait until 2:00 a.m. to walk around."

She's lucky she's cute.