Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Have a great week!

Last night I sat down and made a list of all of the things I need to do between now and Friday night. ("List your work, work your list!") And it ain't pretty, my friends.

I'm hosting my family for Thanksgiving, so last night I made a menu, and a hefty grocery list, and got my happy ass to the grocery store at 10 p.m. Which was the most perfect time in all the world, because the aisles were annoying-human free and I breezed in and out. Then I came home and made mini pumpkin muffins for an office. At midnight, when I was waiting for the last batch of muffins to finish, I thought, "Who the hell am I? With my full pantry, mini muffin scent wafting through the house?" And then I had a rum and coke just to balance out the elements of my world.

I've got a corporate event tomorrow, and another one on Friday. And houseguests from Wednesday night through Monday.

Here's a little recipe that will keep me sane this long week and weekend. I share it because I love you. SO DAMN MUCH.

I like to call it, "Even HOT WINE Is Good, Bitches!":

Serves 12 (but you know I'll be doubling this shit up)

4 oranges
Bottle of whole cloves
1 gallon jug apple cider
3 cinnamon sticks
1 1/2 cups light rum
4 cups red burgundy jug wine

1. The day before you'll serve the wine, or early on the day of your event, stuf the oranges with whole cloves. Just stick them in like little nails. Stick the cloves into the oranges in some kind of pattern, or fit them tightly all over the rind.

2. Two hours before you'll serve the wine, put the oranges on a cookie sheet and bake them in a 350 degree oven for two hours.

3. Meanwhile, measure 2 cups of cider into a small pot. Add the cinnamon sticks. Bring the pot to a boil, uncovered. Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

4. Pour the boiled cinnamon-cider into a big pot.

5. Pour in the rum and burgundy. Keep warm while the oranges are baking.

6. Drop the hot oranges in the warm wine. They should sizzle, then continue to add flavor as long as the wine mulls on low heat.

7. Set out cups and a ladel and let guests serve themselves. (If they can get past ME.)

You can also keep the wine warm throughout your party in a crock pot or in a large electric coffee maker.

Plus? It makes your house smell SO DAMN GOOD.

Have a great holiday. I'll see ya on the other side.