Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Fragile Cargo

This morning I did a favor for a friend: I drove her daughter to school.

What should have been a simple little errand, turned into a big ordeal for me, thanks to my stressy self.

Things I did:

Got up at 6:00 a.m. (after going to bed around 2 a.m.), and went out and vaccumed my whole damn car.

Tested and re-tested all of the seat belts in the back seat (my car is only a year old).

Made myself a mental checklist of all of the things we'd talk about. On the fifteen minute drive. When I realized how lame that was, I felt all Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets when he loads up his car with a library of CDs for different road trip situations "Emergency" "When it's too quiet".

Music! After realizing she probably didn't want to hear disco music, I decided we'd have NO music. Which means? Talking! What do second graders talk about these days?

Made her a little treat bag. Candy! Don't tell your Mom!

Arrived at her house 20 minutes early because I was afraid I'd get her to school late. This ended up just making us nearly late because I was invited to take a tour of her bedroom, and I got a little too into her little vanity table. Tiny brush! Tiny mirror!

When we pulled into the school parking lot, I asked if I should walk her to her class. "Do Moms do that?"

Her response: "Yes. When the kid is in kindergarten."