Thursday, December 07, 2006

Spat.

Yesterday afternoon, I came off a highway exit and was sitting at a red light, when I lazily turned my head to the right to look at the stopped car next to me, when all of a sudden I saw a something wet hit the middle of my passenger side window and a man in his car with his mouth paused like he had just spit. Or spat. Or, hocked a loog.

What the? Did he...just....SPIT AT MY CAR?

The guy's eyes got wide, and he quickly started jesturing that he'd just made some sort of horrible mistake to which I thought 'yes you did, buddy!'. He glanced back to make sure the light was still red, and then JUMPED OUT OF HIS CAR and started yelling, "I'm SO SORRY!" over and over again.

I must have been sitting there with my mouth open and frozen, because I just couldn't move, and I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on.

He motioned for me to crack my window open. I hesitated for a second, but relented and cracked it just a ways down, and watched as his loog slowly meandered down the window.

Dressed in a suit, he adjusted his tie and all I heard was something about how he didn't mean to hit my car, would I like some money for a carwash?

I waved him off that it was fine, hell I get spit on everyday!, and told him he'd better get back in his car because the light had just turned green.

To which the guy behind him honked furiously.

He tried wiping the loog with the bottom of his tie, I gagged a little, and waited for him to back away so I could speed off.

I stopped at a gas station car wash, and chalked this up as a new one. As you do in this sort of situation.