Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Blink, blink, blink

I opened up my blogger account to write a fascinating little entry, but my mind is going a million miles a minute with many-a-thang to attend to, so when it came time to write (after updating links, picking today's Brady pic, and updating The Bold & The Bloglicious which has had 3 new episodes and why the hell haven't I let you know that?)...I just stared at the blinking cursor, which was waiting for me to get started already - very Doogie/Carrie Bradshaw-esque.

So instead, I'll give you a referral to a blog that made me giggle a bit recently: Mixed Messages. She's a Marcia, and yet we love her, don't we? Along with her near naming of her blog "Marcia Marcia Marcia", she also has an interesting post about giving your children chores. Which, I'd sign up for in a HEARTBEAT.

One summer day AGES (12 years?) ago, I sat all sloth-like on my couch and asked my roommate if she thought I'd make a good mother some day.

She said no. She said I'd put them to work.

She set the scene of me lounging on the couch sipping a glass of wine when my toddler son walks into the room:

Me: Hey. Who are you?

Kid: I'm your SON.

Me: Oh, cool. What's your name?

Kid: You forgot to name me.

Me: Dammit! Sorry about that. Hey, how old are you?

Kid: Five.

Me: Really. Do you know how to start a lawn mower? Do you know anything about wine bottle openers? Rub mama's feet!

I think I'm going to ask that same friend what she thinks now. Please hold while I call her...

Okay, this is what I got:

"Jan, you need to have kids TODAY. You would be the best Mom in the world - they would be laughing all the damn time."

"Could I still get them to open my bottle of wine? Because really? It's a NUISANCE. Damn corks and shit. Also? I'd forget to feed them. You know how most kids are like, "McDONALD'S! Can we PLEASE GO TO McDONALD'S?" My kids would see me head towards the drive-thru and be in the backseat going, 'She forgot to buy food again'".

My friend interjects with - "and then they'd say, 'UGH! It's Tuesday night! She's going to be screaming at American Idol AND then all glazed over watching Keifer Sutherland on '24'".

I am never reproducing. (And the world says: "whew")